Saturday, May 13, 2006

So, Where Are the Bees?!

I ask this question because Jack has HIVES!

That's right, hives. We noticed on Wednesday night that his right leg was a nasty shade of red with lots of little white bumps in it - sort of like lots of mosquito bites. I thought at first that he had been bitten by something, but a call to the doctor quickly assured me that it sounded like we were experiencing a reaction caused by his skin coming into contact with something that irritated it. I immediately thought of the new fabric softener that I had just started using.

We made an appointment with Dr. Keith the next day just in case, and boy am I glad we did. When he woke up Thursday morning (after sleeping in fabric-softener-free PJ's), this beautiful little boy was covered in that nasty rash from head to toe. I was scared to death!

Our doctor's appointment was not until Thursday afternoon and by that time I was noticing that the rash was sort of moving. It would be on his legs one minute, then on his face, then his back - very strange! When the nurse came in the exam room to take his temperature (which he hates), he started screaming and his skin just exploded. His legs, face, arms, stomach, back - even his fingers, toes and behind his ears. It was awful!

Dr. Keith walked in the room, took one look at Jack and said, "Oh, hello! Somebody's got hives!" I just love a quick, easy diagnosis.


Turns out that the runny nose my sweetpea has had since his birthday is probably the root of the problem. Apparently, certain proteins in viruses can cause little ones to break out in hives. We now have a lovely antibiotic to pair with regular doses of Benadryl - and things are starting to look better. Poor baby - I know he has been so uncomfortable - but as you can see from these photos taken in the Doctor's office, he is always such a trooper!

3 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Now, let's discuss the contagiousness of hives...

8:02 PM, May 13, 2006  
Blogger Mary Alice said...

oh, girl - i should have mentioned that. hives are 100% NOT CONTAGIOUS! i asked dr. keith and he said that he was completely fine to be with other kids - the hives are the result of the cold and even his cold is past the point of being contagious.

but...he will be with his mimi and poppa tomorrow night during life group so no worries!! =)

8:09 PM, May 13, 2006  
Blogger Raven said...

Oh poor baby! We've been through hives more times than I can count. They're just awful. Hope he's feeling better now...

5:08 AM, May 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home