Happy 2nd Birthday, Jackson Parrish Duncan!
Has it really been a year since I sat down to write your 1st Birthday letter? I am really not sure where all the time has gone, but it has certainly been one wonderfully extraordinary year, filled with many special memories and firsts for you. Can you really be TWO? Just yesterday, you took your first gasp of air and let out a cry of arrival that will forever be one of the most joyous sounds I have ever heard. Just yesterday, you were a tiny baby cradled light as a feather in my arms. Just yesterday, you were learning to crawl. Just yesterday, you were learning to sit up on your own. Truth is, just yesterday you were ONE. But today you are TWO, and it has gotten here so fast. It's funny because when I tell people that you are turning two, they usually laugh and say, "Oh, the Terrible Two's!!" Then I laugh and say, "There is nothing terrible about my Jack!". And I mean that with all of my heart.
Sweetheart, as I look back over this past year, I am amazed by how much you have grown and changed in such a short amount of time. You are a truly amazing little boy. You are so smart and inquisitive and have such a wonderful sense of humor! Your laughter is sweeter than just about any other sound I have ever heard. When you smile, your eyes sparkle in such a way that melts my heart. When I look into those big hazel (some would say brown, but I am holding on to hazel) eyes that look so much like my own, I see the person that I want to be.
Over this past year, your Daddy and I have seen you take your first steps. They were so wobbly and unsure at first, but now you are not only walking - you are running! (Not to mention flipping off the couch, climbing up on the bed and attempting to jump from places that are way too high to jump from.) You are such a little monkey!
We have also listened as your baby babble turned into real words and you began to effectively communicate your needs and feelings to us. Not all of your words are the same as ours, and we sometimes have to translate for those who don't speak "Jackanese", but you always get your point across! You have nicknames for just about everything - your grandparents, your stuffed animals, your favorite snacks, your favorite videos. Your precious voice calling for "Daddy and Mama!" every morning is the sweetest alarm clock I could ever ask for.
One of your favorite things to do - if you can't be outside - is to watch videos, which you call dee-yo's (not to be confused with Yo's, which are Cheerios.) Your favorites are "Lady & the Tramp" (which you call Lady Dog) , "Pooh's Heffalump Movie" (Lump) and "Finding Nemo" (Meemo Pish) - all three of which make your silly ol' Mommy cry. Just the other day we were snuggled on the couch watching Meemo and I began to cry a river at the end when the Daddy Fish finds his baby. You, in your precious way, reached up, patted my face, leaned your head into me and said "Mama Pish". That's right, baby. I am most definitely your Mama Fish and I would cross any ocean for you.Two years and a day ago I did not completely understand what it would feel like to be a Mom. Your mom. Of course, I had been feeling you grow and move and kick in my tummy for nine months, but it was completely different once I was able to hold you in my arms. When you were delivered into this world at 9:42 a.m. through the tiniest little cut in my tummy, my world was turned upside down. Jack, I have never had a friend like you. I have never been more proud to know a person than I am to know you. I have never known love like the love I feel for you. There is nothing in this world that can ever separate you from my love. And that's a promise.
Speaking of love, it makes me so happy that you are such a loving little boy. You love being held and cuddled. You love giving and receiving kisses. You give the best bear hugs. You are just a big bundle of love and snuggles and I love that about you. God really knew what he was doing when he made you that way because there are so many people in your life who love you and who love those kisses and bear hugs - Mommy, Daddy, Mimi, Poppa, Buddy, DeeDee, Uncle Jeremy, Aunt Marsha, Cousin Spencer- not to mention all your great-grandparents and surrogate Aunts, Uncles and Cousins. I have never met a person who didn't enjoy a hug and a kiss from you!
Jack, your Daddy and I feel like the luckiest two people in the world because you are our son. I will never understand how or why we were chosen, yet I know that we were hand-picked by God to be your parents. When you arrived in our lives, we were blessed beyond measure. And yet God, through you, continues to heap blessing after blessing on us each day. Your smile, your laugh, your sparkly eyes, your whole tall, skinny self - you are our greatset joy. We love you, my sweetest angel boy. But always remember what I told you last year in your birthday letter. I will say it again because it still is and will always be true - As much as your Daddy and I love you, your Heavenly Father loves you even more. My prayer for you is that you will grow in His love over the next year of your life.
I love you so much.
Always,
Your Mommy












2 Comments:
It's amazing at how you can put into words how I also feel about my boys also...you are such a beautiful writer & I love you & your family. Thank you for letting us be apart of your lives & for walking through this journey with us. We had a great time at the party & tell lil' Jack that we love him & can't wait to see what this year brings! Love you sister~
Sobbing....
Post a Comment
<< Home