Miracles Never Cease.

I was very apprehensive about this step because of the difficulty Jack has always had falling asleep on his own. If you have been reading for a while, you may recall me mentioning that typical "sleep training" had not worked that well for Jack and that he would cry and cry and cry if one of us was not rocking him or at least in the room with a hand on his back. He's a snuggler, and being alone at bedtime has never been his cup of tea. It has been a challenge for us, to say the least.
Needless to say, I imagined that we would have a lot of crying and screaming and little feet pitter-pattering down the hall at night once he was actually able to get in and out of his bed at will. I didn't think we would be able to keep him in his bed for five minutes, much less all night. I love, love, love being proven wrong.
Since we put up the toddler rail on Monday (which is when these photos were taken), Jack has done fabulously. I just can't brag on him enough. Even for naps, which I really thought would be awful. The sweet little thing has fallen asleep inside 10 minutes each time (as opposed to 30-45 minutes before) and hasn't even attempted to get out of his bed - not once. I AM SO PROUD!But here's the real kicker. We had a first in our house last night. The three of us were sitting on the couch, watching the end of American Idol. Jack got up and walked back to his room. After a minute, he walked back into the den and said, "Night Night!". He then disappeared back down the hall. When he didn't return, Phillip went back to check on him. It wasn't long until I heard my husband's voice, very obviously trying to stifle a chuckle, say, "Babe! Ummm...you better come in here and check this out. Quick.".
The scene I found in Jack's room is one that I will cherish forever. There was my little boy, all curled up in his Big Boy Bed with his Blankie, ready to go to sleep. For the first time ever, he was waiting on us. We kissed him good night, told him how proud we were, turned off the light and closed the door. We heard jibber-jabber (not screaming!) for about ten minutes before he drifted off.
Did I mention how proud I am? Seriously, after close to a year and a half of dreading bedtime because of the impending battle of wills, I think we might have entered a new era. Thank you Lord!
*And yes, Birthday Party pictures will be coming soon - later on today, if I have anything to say about it!*












1 Comments:
Yeah Big Boy Jack!! we are so proud of you! See you soon!
Post a Comment
<< Home