Friday, April 07, 2006

Legacy

Phillip just emailed me this photo and I was reminded of what is heavy on my heart today.

Phillip's maternal grandfather - Gamp - is dying. He is pictured on the left, above. This photo was taken at Thanksgiving, as Gamp was really beginning to show signs of decline. He has Lewy Body Dementia, which I know little about, except that is is a devastating disease that has taken away most of the Gamp that we know and love. He is currently in hospice care in Birmingham and Phillip, Jack and I went to see him over the weekend. When we walked in, he was sleeping, but the nurses assured us that it was OK to wake him. When he woke, he looked at Jack and said, "Well, looka there!". His expression, which has been stiffened by this awful disease, softened and it was obvious that there was recognition there, if only for a moment. Gamp kind of came and went during our visit. Phillip recounted stories of family vacations when he and all the cousins were kids. I sat at the foot of the bed and rubbed his feet. When Jack made a few animal noises for him, he said, "What a bright little boy", and that was about the extent of his communication with us. But I really believe that he knew we were there. Phillip was able to tell Gamp some things he really wanted to share with him and then was able to sing his Grandpa back to sleep. He was able to say goodbye, in such a tender and loving way. We all were, and for that I am grateful.

Phillip's paternal grandfather, Poppa (on the right, above) is having surgery this morning on his carotid artery to alleviate a blockage. Poppa has a history of heart problems and had been having mini-strokes last week, experiencing numbness in his lip and left hand. I know this is a fairly common surgery, but it's still scary any time someone you love is being operated on. Phillip's dad drove up to Montgomery from Fairhope to be there at the hospital today, and we are waiting on a call from him as soon as the surgeon gives them an update.

Both of these men have been so amazing to us. They both hold such a special place in my heart, as I have already lost both of my grandfathers. I was four when God called my Granddaddy home and twenty-four when Pa went to Heaven. As I look at this photo, I am reminded of the amazing legacy of all four of these men, whether in Heaven or still here with us. Each of them - R.C. Ellison, Gerald Duncan, Jesse Parrish and Neil Campbell - are a part of me, a part of Phillip and a part of that beautiful little boy you see there in the middle in his Daddy's arms. I know that if we look closely, we will see traits of each of these incredible men in him.

I covet your prayers today. For Gamp, that he will have peace and comfort. That he will find rest. And for Poppa, that he will come through surgery with flying colors, heal quickly and be in even better health than before. And prayers for Phillip, his brother and his parents as well - this is a tough time for all.

Thank you.

2 Comments:

Blogger ~**Dawn**~ said...

offering prayers for those 2 special men in your life. i lost my Gramp to Alzheimer's a few years before he passed away 3 years ago. may your Gamp find peace & Your Poppa strength and healing.

4:27 PM, April 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a precious post

6:56 AM, April 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home