Goodbyes and Giggles
Jack is getting so darn funny. And he knows it. Tonight, Phillip and I were in the floor with him stacking blocks and pitching the ball back and forth. Jack was laughing hysterically and running all around. After one particularly bad toss (by me, I'm sure) the ball rolled up under our entertainment armoire. Jack squatted down - you know, that adorable toddler squat where they bend their knees and their bottom nearly touches the ground - and lowered his head down to look for the ball. Upon discovering that the ball was too far back to reach, Jack - with much resignation - says, "Bye, Ball." Now, I don't know about you, but in my humble opinion, that is a sentence. A sentence! He actually strung two words together and said goodbye to the ball! Are you kidding??
Then - and this is what really got to me - tonight as I was rocking him at bedtime, I had one of those Moments I will always keep with me. The kind of Moment I will pull out of my heart when Jack is thirteen and too cool to be seen with me. He was lying in my arms, looking up at me just like he used to as a teeny tiny baby. His eyes were locked on mine, and I just couldn't help but smile at him. Then he smiled back. Then I smiled. And he smiled. And so it went for a minute or two until he began to giggle softly. I kept smiling and the bigger I smiled, the louder he giggled. He giggled and giggled, and all the while we just gazed at each other. Neither of us moving a muscle. After probably ten minutes (which just wasn't long enough for me), his giggles began to grow softer and softer until...
He giggled himself to sleep.
Oh, you precious boy. I am so blessed to be your Mommy and see your sweet smiles and hear your melodious giggles every day. I can't even express how much I will always cherish this Moment we shared tonight. You are the delight of my life, and I love you. Sweet dreams, my angel.












1 Comments:
Okay, I am so completely crying! Thanks for letting me into that Moment. How sweet it is!
Post a Comment
<< Home