Thursday, December 21, 2006

Jesus, Where Are You?

Jack's vocabulary has increased dramatically over the last couple of months, as has his ability to make us laugh, teach us an unexpected lesson and cause us to occasionally tear up a little. Tonight was no exception.

This story must begin with something that happened a couple of nights ago at the dinner table. The three of us were eating and talking when Jack looked up at my wedding portrait and said, "Mommy Jesus?". Phillip and I both asked him to repeat the question and he did - several more times. I wasn't sure exactly what he meant, but I explained to him that Mommy was wearing her wedding dress, the one she wore when she married Daddy. That seemed to satisfy him and he didn't mention it again. (But I kept thinking about that song "Christmas Shoes" where the little boy sings about his sick Mommy getting ready to meet Jesus, so I must admit that I said an extra prayer that I wasn't about to meet a tragic end. If you know me well, this will not surprise you one bit. I am a little crazy like that.) Anyway...

Then, tonight, the three of us were lounging around watching The Wiggles when I heard Jack say, "I'm Jesus!". I looked over and he had the vacuum cleaner cord loosely draped across the top of his head and was holding it under his chin. Suddenly the earlier question of "Mommy Jesus?" made sense to me. Sweet Jack was wearing the cord like the hood of a robe, just as he thought I was doing with my veil in the wedding portrait. Just like he sees Jesus doing in all the illustrations in his Bible Story book.

Once it clicked, I said, "Buddy, are you pretending to be Jesus?" He smiled a huge smile and said again, "I'm Jesus!" Phillip and I both made a big deal about it, telling him that it was so good to want to be like Jesus. But, obviously, we can't let him play unsupervised with a vacuum cleaner cord (lest you all call the authorities) so I put the vacuum cleaner away.

It was at this point that Jack started walking around saying, "Jesus, where are you?!". Of course, it sounded even sweeter - more like, "Jeeeesus, wheeee aaahhhh youuuuuu?!" I could have melted right then and there. Thank goodness, I didn't and was able to explain, as we have tried to do before, that Jesus lives in Jack's heart. Then, my little gift from heaven looked up at me with those big brown eyes, patted his chest and proudly proclaimed, "Jesus in a hawt!".

That's right, buddy. He's there. My prayer for your life is that you will keep on trying your best to look just like Him and that one day, you will invite Him to stay in your heart forever!

1 Comments:

Blogger It's a Mom Thing said...

Whew...that made me tear up a little. What a sweet thing that Jack is already learning and thinking about Jesus. And what an opportunity(and obligation) we have over the next few days to explain it even more. How precious!

11:01 AM, December 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home