Sunday, June 19, 2005

Any Man Can Be A Father...

...But it takes someone special to be a Daddy.

This quote, albeit a little cheesy, does have a ring of truth to it. This quote is also printed on a plaque that sits on my Daddy's chest of drawers. If I am not mistaken, I gave this plaque to him for Father's Day (or perhaps a birthday) many, many years ago.

I am so blessed to have several Daddies in my life - who have tremendously impacted who I am today - and I would like to take a moment to honor them and say thank you for all they have meant in my life.

First of all, there's Phillip - my soulmate - and Jack's Daddy. Phillip has embraced his role as Daddy more quickly and with more grace than I could have ever imagined possible. I sometimes joke that he has changed more of Jack's diapers than I have, but I really think it might be true! As most of you know, Phillip lost his job 2 weeks before Jack came into this world, and was unable to find another job until Jack was eleven months old. Needless to say, those eleven months were perhaps the best and worst of our lives. Looking back, I wouldn't take anything for the time the three of us had together. Phillip was able to share in so many firsts that I know many dad's are unable to be a part of. He and Jack have this incredible bond - and it's a beautiful thing. Now that Phillip is back at work, we certainly miss him, but it's like Christmas morning every evening when he comes home! Jack and I are so blessed by his sweet and loving spirit and the humble way he serves us every day.

My Daddy is more special to me than I think even he realizes. My Daddy is the quintessential Renaissance Man - there is nothing he can't do (or at least that's what I think.) Woodworking, plumbing, electrical stuff, mechanics, gardening, cooking...you name it, he's read a book on it and probably has it mastered. Although he didn't attend college, he had a long career in the millitary and is probably the smartest man I have ever met. He has always been very supportive of me, attending every single event I was a part of in High School. He has been the brute strength behind both of the fixer-uppers that Phillip and I have owned. He takes great care of my Mom and is just a great ol' big teddy bear, although he'd probably deny that. (Heehee) Watching him with Jack has been one of the biggest blessings of my life - the tenderness and patience he shows is so genuine and heartwarming, and it's obvious that Jack has his Papa wrapped around his little finger!

My Grandpa Parrish - always known simply as Pa - was one of my best friends growing up. He passed away in early 1999, and I still miss him. He would have loved Jack so much and been so pleased that we chose Parrish as Jack's middle name. Pa was one of those rare gentle souls, and he had the kindest watery blue eyes I've ever seen. I sometimes wonder where he found his patience with me when I was a kid - yet he would sit quietly and let me paint his fingernails and style what little hair he had. I think he just enjoyed the time with me, and I certainly enjoyed the time with him. I have many fond memories of summer days sitting out in the backyard with Pa shucking corn or shelling beans. He was a farmer at heart, and a real workhorse. He always seemed invincible to me. He and my Grandma were married 65 years before he passed away.

You know, I could go on and on - but I sense that if I do, I'll be up all night. I will stop here, as it is late and I am feeling tired from a long weekend. And I know that the Cutest Boy Ever will be waking early tomorrow to start his day. Be sure and take time to honor and thank those in your life who mean a lot to you, since we all know that tomorrow is not a guarantee. It's just a good thing to do.

Happy Father's Day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home