Miss Eve And The Magic Scissors
Jack got his very first professional semi-Big Boy Haircut today. And for some reason, I broke down in tears about 20 minutes before we needed to leave the house.
Up until that moment, I had been very excited about this milestone and was actually the one person in our family insisting that it was way past time to trim what was quickly beginning to resemble a Mini Mullet. (And I have an extremely strong aversion to Mullets, in case you didn't know. Ugh.)
Then this morning, I got my little baby all dressed up and brushed his soft, shiny, beautiful -and very little baby - hair. Then he gave me that precious smile - and I lost it.
Whew. Thank goodness my Mom was going to the Salon with us because she arrived at our house just as I was losing it -and she, as always, helped to soothe me and get me moving on my way.
So anyway - Miss Eve (who is FABULOUS and a Duncan Family Favorite), met us at the door of the Salon with her sweet smile, and Jack seemed so happy to see her. He was even happier when she regaled him with his fancy new cape, covered in elephants, giraffes, snakes and cows. Oh boy! (You will notice the Happiness, but also evidence of the Mini Mullet here:)
Despite the horror storries I have heard about First Haircuts (or any haircut on a little one under the age of 5, for that matter) I figured we were in for quite the display from Jack.
Not so much.
Miss Eve started cutting (and cutting), and not one peep from Jack. He sat up so straight and tall, like he knew he was Big Stuff.
About halfway through the cut, we got a little sneaky and used Baby Goldfish to entice Jack to turn his head in the direction needed for Eve to make a certain cut - but still - not one peep. Not even a whimper.
Eve even managed to get a couple of laughs out of him (and me, too) with her Goldfish eating skills. This lady has the Magic Touch!
So, basically - we ended up having a completely calm - not to mention completely positive - First Haircut experience. All thanks to an incredibly sweet and talented friend and a precious, even-tempered, chilled-out little boy. The end result? A Happy Miss Eve, a Happy Mommy and a Very Happy (and Mullet Free) Jack!!
After we returned home, I asked Jack how he felt about his new tailored look. He responded with the following comment:
That's all I need to know.












2 Comments:
He is so *precious*, MA!!!
Thanks for letting us "be there" by remote control...
Post a Comment
<< Home