Thursday, June 02, 2005

Hello, Bad Morning.

This morning, I had one of those experiences that makes every mother's heart leap straight from her chest into her throat and attempt to jump right out through her mouth.

As you all know, Jack has been sick with a cold/stomach bug/fever for the last several days. Well, he woke up at 3:45 this morning with the fever at its highest point, bordering on 102 degrees. I am not a fan of the fever. In my mind, Fever = Fear. (Another phobia, I guess - but we'll talk about that later.)

I made the executive decision to give him Tylenol and rock him until his fever broke. Over an hour later, he started sweating and I fumbled my way back to bed around 5:15. (The sun was coming up, sadly enough.) I was so exhausted that I think I was actually crying when my head hit the pillow because I realized that Jack would be waking for the day probably in about an hour or so. At least Phillip was coherent (and sweet) enough to roll over and mumble something about me being a magnificent mother and how much he appreciated me. Not bad for 5 am!

Anyway, I fell back to sleep, Phillip left for work without waking me (Thank You) and I didn't know another thing until the phone rang. The phone rang? I sat bolt upright, knowing immediately that something wasn't right. I glanced at the clock, subliminally noting that it was 8:15.


8:15?? Huh?

My child has not slept a minute past 7:30 a.m. since the day he was born, no matter how much or how little sleep he got the night before. I just knew that something terrible was wrong. I jumped out of bed - heart racing - somehow found the phone and answered it. It was my mom, calling to check in, since I always (and I mean always as in every single day without fail) call her before 8:00 - usually while Jack is eating breakfast.

The concern in her voice was obvious, and I was still so foggy from having just been rattled awake quickly that I know I made no sense to her...It was just a terrible moment. I actually kept her on the phone with me while I went in to Jack's room because I truly expected to find something awful. It makes me shudder to think about it even now.

But Praise the Lord, there was my baby - sleeping soundly and peacefully - all curled up in a ball in the corner of his crib. I touched his cheek to find him cool as a cucumber. Sweet little angel just needed some extra rest.

He woke up shorly after the phone call, and I don't think I've ever given him a bigger (or longer) hug.

After the morning scare, we had a really good day. Jack's still running a low-grade fever off and on and he was so tuckered out tonight that he went down before 7:00. So, I doubt he'll sleep until 8:15 tomorrow! (But just in case, don't call until after 9:00 - haha!)

As you can see, he just wasn't sure how he felt today. One minute, he thought I was just the Funniest Thing Ever.



Then the next minute, he remembered that he really did feel bad.



But he definitely had a great time when his Grandma and Great Grandma came for a visit.



Such is the roller coaster of Feelin' Poopy. I sure hope they will soon stop the ride and let us off!

1 Comments:

Blogger Raven said...

Oh sister, I've been there. I've BEEN THERE. Most recently, yesterday morning. It is literally an out-of-body experience. Ugh.

Glad he's feeling better, though - hope you guys have a great weekend!

2:23 PM, June 03, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home