An Open Letter to the Rota Virus:
I do not like you. You are mean and ruthless and extremely unkind. Last Thursday, you barged into our happy home without warning, taking up residence in our little boy. From there, you have carried out your Reign of Intestinal Terror with a vengeance, leaving no sheet or towel unsoiled.
Two days ago, you figured out a way to drag me down too. Knowing that you couldn't make me as sick as you made Jack (simply because I am a grown-up, haha) you gave it your best shot and hit me just hard enough to ensure that I was miserable and completely non-functioning.
And now today - one day before his 30th birthday - you got hold of Phillip too. Like I said, you are ruthless.
But you know what? As much as I dislike you, as much as I want you to go away - I must thank you also. Thank you for forcing Phillip and I to just stop and be still. To stop and hold our little boy, to rub his tummy and sing to him. To listen intently to his tiny voice as he says, "Mommy I wanna hold you, peese." or "Daddy, Jack tummy hurt.". And then to focus all our efforts on making him comfortable. These last six days, although awful in so many ways, have also brought back memories of a time long since past when that little boy used to depend on us for everything. A sweet time of cuddles and snuggles and lullabies. These last six days have been a reminder of how precious each moment with Jack is - and how important it is to relish every one.
So take that, rota virus. Now, please pack your bags and get out of my house!!!
Sincerely,
Mary Alice Duncan












0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home