This Hurts Me MUCH Worse Than It Hurts You
Anyway - I think I finally get it. Being a parent has opened my eyes to a lot of things, one of them being the truth behind the statement, "This hurts me much worse than it hurts you."
On Wednesday, Jack went to the doctor for his 15 month checkup. (15 months! Can you believe it?) He was perfect, according to Dr. Keith, weighing in at 26 pounds, 7 ounces and standing a mighty 32 inches tall. 75th percentile all around. Great news...but the 15 month check-up also means something else. SHOTS.
I hate shots. I never thought there could be anything worse than having to get a shot myself. That is, until I had Jack, and had to be the one holding him still while he got his shots. There was no way I could have prepared myself for the first time he received his shots, much less for the reaction I had. I remember just standing there briefly in shock and then the tears just beginning to flow. Jack was finished crying long before I was!
This time was no different. I didn't cry as much, but standing there holding my sweet little boy while allowing someone to inflict pain upon him was almost too much to bear. The last two sets of shots have been given in the arm - which I believe causes less pain and soreness overall - but is worse (at least for me) initially. Having to hold him while he grips my arms and cries into my neck is absolutely awful. It was much easier just holding him still on the exam table for the leg shots.
The funny thing is - Jack had stopped crying long before we left the exam room, but I am still tearing up just writing about it. He has probably already forgotten that it ever happened, but I don't think I'll ever be able to erase it from my mind.
This hurts me MUCH worse than it hurts you. Another parenting cliche' understood. Marked off the list. I get it.
On a lighter note, these pictures you have been enjoying were taken earlier in the week while Jack was having a snack. He loves to relax on the couch in the afternoon while enjoying a cracker or two!












3 Comments:
So, we've gone from "comments" to "talk to me!" I can do that. And the first thing I want to say is that I think you are absolutely and completely "precious," (there's that word!) in so very many ways. I just caught up on several blogs at once - and I even read Raven's post that you linked to. And I can identify with the feeling one is having a heart attack when one is not actually having a heart attack - though, thankfully, it happened to me only once, during a particulary stressful time at work. I'm glad you have your blog, 'cause I guess young ladies probably don't have the kind of soul-baring conversations with their pa-in-law that they can have through this kind of journal. You are so very worth knowing better, and I treasure this way of peeking into the heart of the woman who loves my son, and who has given me several wonderful gifts: 1) a son who is happy, and grounded, and who remains in love with his savior; 2) one of the two most gorgeous little boys in the history of the world; 3) a snug and comfortable place to sack out when we come to visit said son, said you, and said gorgeous small guy. Lots of other blessings came with the package, and I shall not attempt to list them all here. I thank you, and the grandmama whose name remains somewhat up-in-the-air thanks you, as well, for the peace that comes with knowing your child is in a stable, healthy relationship with a "relatively" stable, healthy, and beautiful lady. Hope you take the "relatively" in the spirit it is meant in. "Relatively" stable is probably a step or two healthier than I would rate myself. Anyway, thanks for being you, and thanks for being one of my two wonderful daughters-in-law. We love you very much. Now, having written all this, how will I know you actually ever saw it? Oh well. God bless us every one.
Reletively stable? You think I am RELATIVELY stable? Well, I never. HaHa. Actually, I take that as a compliment. =)
And you can bet that I see every comment that's left for me. I have a nifty little setup here that sends me an email alert everytime someone has something to say. So, thank you for commenting!
I truly do appreciate your kind words. And I truly am a blessed woman, not only to have such a terrific husband and son but to have such a wonderful extended family as well.
technology is a scary and wonderful thing...blog on!
Post a Comment
<< Home