I AM A NERD.
I would like to believe that at least one person reading thought to themselves, "You? A Nerd? Why, I have always thought you were the epitome of Coolness." However, I am fairly confident that the Inner Monologue for the vast majority of you went something like this: "Oh, Sweetheart...Are you just now figuring this out?!"And the answer to that question is, NO - thank you very much - I am not just now figuring that out. I have always been aware of my Nerdiness. I am just finally accepting it. Embracing it. And from the looks of it - dressing it up in bows and frills.
A little background on the above photo: Phillip, Jack and I were in Birmingham over the weekend. Phillip had been asked by a good friend to sing in her wedding (which he did - fabulously) and so we went down for the rehearsal dinner on Friday and the wedding on Saturday. We stayed with Phillip's Uncle J.T. and Aunt Sharon, who graciously open their home to us every time we are in town.
Before the wedding on Saturday, I was in desperate need of a Band-Aid and there was no one home to ask for one. One bad thing about staying in someone else's house is that you know they have Band-Aids, but you just can't be sure where they keep them. So, I was faced with an obvious dilemma. Continue to desperately need a Band-Aid, or set out in search for one. I chose the more fun (and more scandalous) option - I rummaged.
I looked in the bathroom and didn't find a Band-Aid. So, I thought perhaps there might be one in the dresser drawer in our bedroom. No dice - but I did run across these little beauties. Aunt Sharon had about 15 of these lovely little late 80's/early 90's hair bow barrettes and I (being the former barrette-wearing Nerd I am) just couldn't resist wearing them all at once. Now, I'd like to say that I know something everyone else doesn't about this particular trend coming back in style. I don't. But - if legwarmers are making a comeback, then who's to say we won't be seeing these bad boys on the fall runways? I'm bringin' it back, baby! (Aunt Sharon - I certainly hope that I did not steal your secret idea for a fashion comeback and I hope even more that I haven't just gotten us banned from your house for life because I just actually admitted rummaging through drawers in the guest room.) Hmmm.
Needless to say - Despite my Nerdiness, it appears that Jack thinks I am the most Fabulous person he has ever met.
It's as though he is saying, "Look, ya'll! This is MY MOM. And she is not a Nerd at all. I think she is the neatest thing since sliced bread. She has these crazy wonderful things in her hair and she put them there JUST TO MAKE ME LAUGH. Isn't she great? Huh? Isn't she?" Ah, the innocence of youth. I think I will hold tight to this memory and pull it out whenever he's 14, and I need comforting because he doesn't want to be seen with Nerdy old me.












2 Comments:
Nerdy Friend...
I am in need of your company...let's get together Wednesday!!
Love you~Jenni
Well you are the cutest little nerd I've ever seen!!! :)
Post a Comment
<< Home