Monday, January 07, 2008

A Good Place to Start














Having been born nine days before Christmas, the arrival of my birthday has always been just the thing to get me in the holiday spirit. This year was no different, although Jack pretty much had me anxious for Santa back in October.

Phillip, in his usual thoughtful way, made sure that the day was extra-special for me. He gave me a gorgeous boquet of roses and an adorable cake which tasted even prettier than it looked. And it turned Jack's tongue green, which was a big hit! (Jack had informed us prior to my birthday that we must have a party at Mimi and Poppa's house with, "birfday cake, ice cream, balloons, hats and I'll sing 'Happy Birfday to You' to Mommy!".) So before the big celebration, at which Jack really did sing a solo of "Happy Birfday" so sweetly it brought me to tears, we spent the day relaxing at home together - just the three of us - which is one of my absolute favorite things to do in the whole wide world.






















My gift from Phillip this year was exactly what I wanted - He had my beautiful little sparkly chandelier (that's sadly been sitting in a box for months) hung over the kitchen sink. I absolutely love it (it is so very pretty) and now I sort of feel like a princess while doing dishes! (Cinderella had chores, right?!)





















Later in the evening, we had dinner with my parents at Demos' in Hendersonville before heading back to their house for cake and ice cream. It was the perfect way to end an amazing day.




























It's sometimes hard to comprehend that could be in my twenties, much less my thirties with a husband and a family and a home of my own. A recent coffeehouse conversation with two of my college roommates - Laura and Judy - thankfully revealed that I am not the only one who still feels like that crazy 18 year old girl with ginormous hair, just trying to find herself and staying up all night talking, laughing and eating pizza with her best girlfriends in Fanning Hall! Thirty-three is certainly a bit daunting but as Lee, another college friend who reached that milestone three days before I did, wisely said, "Well...It's certainly better than the alternative!".

Indeed.

9 Comments:

Blogger Raven said...

You look gorgeous, my friend! I've missed your postings! So glad you had a great birthday & Christmas.

And I am sooo jealous of your chandelier! It's fab!

5:05 AM, January 07, 2008  
Blogger Elizabeth S said...

Amen, sister. I certainly don't feel my age. My body on the other hand... Anyway, I am glad you had a great birthday. And I love the chandelier!!! What a great idea to hang one over the sink. I just might have to do that.

7:33 PM, January 07, 2008  
Blogger Amy said...

I definitely know how you feel!! I feel closer to the age of the teenagers I work with than other moms my age. In fact, I always assume I am younger than every mom I meet! Not because they look older, but because I forget how old I am!! In most cases recently, it turns out I'm the older one! And besides all that, 2 of my best friends are young college students who used to be in my youth group! I guess it's all good... it keeps me feeling and acting young, which can't possibly be bad!

Happy Belated Birthday!
Glad it was such a great day!!

11:37 AM, January 08, 2008  
Blogger Heather said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:29 PM, January 09, 2008  
Blogger Heather said...

Mmmmmm... can't wait to see the chandelier up-close and personal. Maybe at our coffee date???

4:30 PM, January 09, 2008  
Blogger JSM said...

Girl - we don't look a DAY over 28!! :)

4:38 PM, January 14, 2008  
Blogger ~**Dawn**~ said...

I am just now getting caught up on all the blogs I enjoy. I just wanted to say I am *so* glad you had a wonderful trip to Disney. I am so spoiled, having it in my backyard. I would live *in* the parks if I could though! The Magic never gets old -- and being an Annual Pass Holder, I get to go a lot. It makes me so happy when I hear about people enjoying it. Everyone should have wonderful Disney experiences. Your photos were wonderful too. =) I know how hard it is to get good night shots. I swear you can only get them by accident. A friend of mine who is also a Disney fanatic & I always say we wish they would sell a special pass that would let you into the parks before they open & after they close, just to take photos without someone walking through them or to be able to set up a tripod when it wouldn't be inconsiderate. I can't even tell you how many photos I have of the Castle... LOL!

Anyway, it was wonderful seeing you enjoy your trip. Thank you for sharing it on your blog! I hope you have a blessed & happy 2008, and I look forward to peeking into your blog to see how it's going. =)

9:29 AM, January 16, 2008  
Blogger Ryan said...

Happy Birthday!!! My birthday is coming up and I just don't feel as old as my years. I tutor at Lipscomb and it kills me when college students call me ma'am. the chandlier is beautiful!!!

10:52 AM, January 17, 2008  
Blogger Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

Happy (late) Birthday!

5:22 AM, January 19, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home