Sunday, October 07, 2007

Game Day In Alabama, Part 1: Jack Meets Big Al!

Wow. Look at that smile. Do you see that smile? We saw that smile pretty much all day yesterday, as Jack experienced his very first Alabama football game in Tuscaloosa. I really don't know who had a better time: Jack, taking it all in, or Phillip, Buddy, DeeDee and I taking Jack in! Yesterday may well have been the most fun day Mr. Jack has ever had in his entire life.

I took so many pictures - over 300. I was able to get a new lens for my camera before we left, so I tried not to miss a minute of the action. And I want to share it all. But I just had to start here, with Jack fulfilling a dream: meeting Big Al!

It was Homecoming yesterday, so we knew the Big Elephant would be there somewhere - but if you have ever experienced Alabama football then you know you are dealing with a total Sea of Humanity. Finding Big Al amongst the tail-gaters, inflatables, Department tents, barbeque vendors, fans, cheerleaders, band members and all kinds of other congestion was secondary to not actually losing Jack in the crowd! However, all of a sudden we looked up and there he was. Jack was elated (to put it mildly) and I was doubtful that he would be happy to stop and wait in line for a photo-op. Boy, was I wrong. He stood there so patiently, watching intently as all the other kids had their turn with Big Al. At one point I praised him for waiting so patiently and he said, Mommy, I am waiting my turn." As we got closer, Jack began yelling, "Big Al, you're heeeeeere! You're really heeeeeere!". Hysterical. Everyone in line was laughing!

After about 10 minutes of waiting, his turn finally arrived and Jack ran to big Al, turned around and smiled so sweetly for me. He was so happy he could hardly contain himself. It all happened pretty fast, but Jack was able to sneak in a hug before moving on to find something else fun to do. So precious. A moment that Jack (and Mommy and Daddy, too) will always treasure.

I'll be posting more photos from Game Day as quickly as I can get them organized, so check back in. And keep on praying. We certainly felt those prayers yesterday; The entire day was a gift!

4 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth S said...

Aren't little boys so sweet! Glad you had a fun day.

1:06 PM, October 07, 2007  
Blogger digging a hole to China said...

sooooo adorable. okay, i'm gonna have to arm wrestle you for those homecoming tickets next year bc i need a great pic like that of my three. glad you all had a wonderful day. let me know if you wanna do swim class this week.
mk

3:24 PM, October 07, 2007  
Blogger Heather said...

Ahhhh... I met Big Al when I was about Jack's age. Great memory!

7:29 AM, October 08, 2007  
Blogger Christy said...

So glad the day went well and Jack got to meet one of his 'heroes' :)

11:39 AM, October 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home