A Life Lesson In Fall Foliage?
I guess that I am sort of coming down off of a stressful week last week. I am worried about a dear friend whom I had hoped to see today and couldn't. Had a fight this morning with someone I love very much. (And no, neither of you is to blame for my bad day!) This is the time of year that I love most, yet there is also a sadness in the changing that catches hold of me from time to time. The holidays are approaching which means there is much to do. And a very busy weekend ahead which means no time to relax. I feel a dark cloud hovering - and I'm just waiting for it to pass.
Ugh. I hate days like this.
But a little while ago, I was looking out the kitchen window, nursing a cup of coffee, when something caught my eye. A shot of yellow. A glimpse of gold. A happy color. So I grabbed my camera and went outside.
These are photos of the Ginkgo tree that lives in the very center of our backyard. According to some papers we have, this tree was part of the elaborate gardens on the front lawn of Crieve Hall - the original mansion, not the currrent neighborhood that its land was eventually subdivided into. It is a lovely tree, and was one of the major reasons we decided to purchase this house.
One thing we didn't know about our Ginkgo until the previous owners told us after the sale - is the way in which it loses its leaves. Every fall, this humongous tree stays green longer than most other trees. And then it begins to change. FAST. Branches like this, that are partly green today, will be completely golden tomorrow. It will stay golden for a few days and then *POOF*, we'll wake up one morning with a serious raking problem. Yep, the leaves all fall at once. Talk about a transformation.
Sometimes, I wish that God would transform me this fast. I'd like to drop all my insecurities overnight. All of my hang-ups and worries. All of my anxiety and tiredness. My bad attitude and impatience. Not to mention about 40 pounds.
But I know that He is working on me. And I know that he did transform me into a new creation the very instant I asked Jesus into my heart. And I also know that He is trying to teach me something new with this tree...I just have to be quiet long enough to hear what it is He's whispering in my ear. Just knowing that He's talking and teaching makes me feel better. Makes me feel like this day isn't all bad after all.












3 Comments:
Hi Girlfriend~
Hang in there...it always gets better! I Love you & call me if you need to chat!
Love~Jenni
Thank you for sharing. I needed to hear that today as well.
Such a great entry!! Love the photos, the tree, and your thoughts!
Post a Comment
<< Home