Tuesday, November 01, 2005

You Can Pick Your Friends, And You Can Pick Your Pumpkin......But You Can't Pick Your Friends' Pumpkin.

I believe there's got to be some profound wisdom in that. Maybe if we say it three times fast.

Two weeks ago Sunday - October 16, 2005 - I found myself walking down a row of cars in the middle of a huge field arm-in-arm with my college roommate, Laura Marie Fisher Meadows. We were strolling leisurely along behind our husbands who were hauling our boys back to the car after a long afternoon at the Pumpkin Patch. I wrapped my arm around Laura's shoulder and said, "So, honey - Twelve years ago, when we first met, did you ever think that this would one day be our life?" She cut her eyes around at me (in the way that only Laura can) and, if I recall correctly, we both erupted into laughter.

When Laura and I first met each other back in 1993, I didn't think we'd last a semester as roommates. To be blunt, we just didn't like each other at all. But we did survive. In fact, we thrived. She brought out the adventurous side of me and I was her self-appointed Voice of Reason. We found our groove around the second semester of our Freshman year, but it wasn't until the following summer when I moved back home temporarily that I realized what a huge part of my life she had become. We went on to room together for the entirety of our college career and for over a year after graduation, seeing each other through several apartments, boyfriends, heartbreaks, deaths, fights, and an awful lot of joy and laughter. We shared clothes. We shared shoes. We shared music. We shared lots of coffee. And 12 meaningful touches a day. Laura became the Yin to my Yang. The jelly on the peanut butter sandwich of my life. (Which is a good choice for a sandwich in this case, seeing as how Laura is a Vegan.)

Six months before Phillip and I got married, I moved out on my own for the first time in my entire life. And right after our wedding - in which Laura was my Maid of Honor - she followed her then-boyfried (now-husband) Jim to California. And that is where she has been for nearly eight years. Until just a few months ago. And now she's back.

Phillip says it's funny how I have changed since Laura has returned. She and I have our own language (which makes me tri-lingual I guess, since Phillip and I have a language too) which I really haven't spoken since she left, and the moment we saw each other again, it was back, as natural as ever. My adventurous side is beginning to peek out again. And even though Laura does a pretty good job at being her own Voice of Reason now, I hope that I can at least be a Good Ear when she needs me. Despite the fact that, in typical Mary Alice fashion, I let communication between us fade while she was away - it's almost as though no time has passed.

Having Laura back in my life on a daily basis reminds me of a lot of things. Of how very much I missed her. Of how much I need THAT friend - the only one besides my husband who has actually lived with me and who knows all of my ridiculous habits and flaws. And loves me anyway. And of how much I need all of my friends. Those who will tell me when I am an idiot. Or when my hair looks good. Those who treat Jack like he's one of theirs. Those who have shared struggles with me. Those who cry with me. Those who laugh with me. Those who are willing to travel through this life with me. I am realizing more and more each day what a unique and precious role we each play in the lives of others.

And I am so grateful that Laura is filling her unique role in mine. I love you, gur. You be so goowit.

And so there we were leaving the Pumpkin Patch, 30 year-old wives and mothers, so far removed from the 18 year-old girls we once were. And yet still feeling 18, arm-in-arm, and so happy that we were so wrong about each other so long ago.

And here we all are. I give you Photo A - The Duncan Family:


And Photo B, The Meadows Family:

And, just for fun - here are a few more shots from our marvelous afternoon at Gentry's Farm in Franklin. I highly recommend it!







3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stewart got to go to the farm!

8:26 AM, November 01, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gur, You be sooo gowwit too! I be so happy to be back here wich you too! And, them shoes is so gowwit.

9:37 AM, November 01, 2005  
Blogger Raven said...

What a great post. I love it.

1:23 PM, November 01, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home