To Contend, Or Not To Contend: That Is The Question
I've waited long enough to ask this question, and I can't hold out any longer.
Am I the only woman in America who can't seem to get enough of The Contender?! If I am, then what are all you other ladies doing out there?? Seriously - this is the BEST show that has ever been on television. Phillip and I have been hooked since the first episode and I can tell you honestly that at 7 p.m. on Sunday evenings, everything at our house just stops for an hour. (Well, except for Jack, but he watches too.)
I have never been a fan of boxing. I can remember in the 5th grade, I attended a sleepover for my friend Bridget's birthday and her mom took our group of about 10 little girls to see Rocky IV. We sat on the front row, so excited and feeling so grown up. Then, when Drago sent Apollo Creed to an early grave, we all just sat there and cried. I was appalled and scared to death. Since that moment, boxing has just turned my stomach.
I don't feel that way anymore. Admittedly, I do usually cry during and after each episode, but not for the same reason that I cried during Rocky IV. The Contender is just an incredibly emotional show. Each of the 16 participants has an amazing story. Some are fathers, some are husbands - all are sons. Peter and Anthony are there simply because they want a better life for their kids. The dedication they display for their families is awe-inspiring. Sergio has a brilliant mind and is incredibly well-read despite his impoverished upbringing. Both he and Alfonso are there with the hope of re-paying their families for all the sacrifices they've made. Joey (on whom I have an it's-ok-with-my husband crush, ha) had an ideal upbringing and began boxing in college, but is there to prove everyone wrong who said he didn't have what it takes to succeed. Ishe and Brent (the Nashvillian) are two men of faith who aren't afraid to share their beliefs.
Seriously, I am so hooked on this show. You all know how terrified I am to fly, but if I had tickets to the Million Dollar Fight in Vegas, I would hop on that plane without a second thought. The New Kids on the Block couldn't even get me on a plane to New York back in the day, so that's saying something. I wouldn't walk across the street to see most celebrities today, but I'd fly to Vegas to see these guys fight.
I can't believe I just blogged about a television show. Did I really? Yes, I guess I did. It's just that good. So good that I just had to share. But if you haven't been watching - don't start now!! Wait until it comes out on DVD, rush to your closest Blockbuster and watch it from start to finish. Or you can just borrow our copy.
Have a great day!












1 Comments:
So funny you brought this up... because we are ADDICTED. I'm probably an even bigger hater of boxing & violence than you... I wouldn't even sit with Dave while he watched it for the first few weeks.
Then I caught an episode.
And cried & cried & now I'm hooked. Those guys have HEART.
Mark Burnett is a freaking GENIUS.
Post a Comment
<< Home