Sunday, May 08, 2005

Happy Mother's Day To Me!

And to all the other wonderful, beautiful, smart, tireless, loving Mommy's I am fortunate enough to know. I hope your day was as fabulous as you are!

Today was a really special day for me. This was my 2nd official Mother's Day, but I felt like it was the first. Last year, I was still recovering (and still pretty medicated) from the C-section. To be quite honest, I think I was mostly still in shock. Mother's Day came and went for me - without a whole lot of fanfare. I really don't even remember it. This year I was finally able to enjoy it!

Phillip and Jack surprised me this morning with a little Scavenger Hunt thru the house. Along the way, I picked up a bag of "Santa's White Christmas" from Barnie's (Yum), a box of Advil, a bag of Trail Mix, a scented candle and two pair of Billy Bob Teeth. (If you want explanations, I encourage you direct your questions to my wacky spouse!) However, I ended up in the dining room where I found my two favorite boys waiting with this:



I have amassed a small collection of Willow Tree figurines since Jack's birth, so Phillip giving me "
Angel of Mine" was just the thing to make me cry! The flowers were so lovely, and the card from Jack just made my day. And in case you are wondering how Jack is doing in the penmanship department, this should answer all your questions:



We went to church, where I was blessed to find myself being asked to stand along with all the other Mother's in the congregation. Wow. I just looked around and was so overwhelmed by the good company I was in. I am so thankful to have so many amazing women surrounding me in our church family. It is an incredible support system.

**As a side note on church, Jack went to Cradle Roll for the first time this morning. He has stayed with us in service up until this point - and has been an absolute doll - but this morning he wanted to talk loudly and we figured there was no time like the present to get started! Phillip said that when he dropped him off, they were singing songs and that Jack was so excited. From all we can tell - he absolutely loved it. Looks like we have reached yet another milestone!**


We came home after lunch at the August Moon (thank you Phillip for sacrificing a meal for me) and all three of us took almost a three hour nap. Yes, I said THREE hours! It looks like Jack might have switched from two hour and a half long naps to one three hour nap. Have I mentioned milestones already? Check another one off.

After waking up finally, we went to have dinner with my parents. This was a special day for them as well. Today marked their 40th Wedding Anniversary. Way to go, Mom and Dad! I can't even begin to describe how proud this makes me, as their daughter. It's so rare for people to stay married that long anymore and I am so thankful for their relationship and how it has blessed Phillip and me, as well as countless others. It was great being able to spend the evening with them. Jack was pretty stoked too - Can you guess what he did?

We were all laughing at what long strides he has started taking. He is no longer just walking behind the wagon. The child is nearly running! Could he really be my child? Running? I get out of breath just thinking about running. Ha.

We also discovered tonight that Jack might very well be the Next Big Thing. Hmmm. Perhaps someone will create a new reality series called "American Child Prodigy". We are so auditioning.

Prodigy or not, one thing's for certain - Jack loves his Grandma!

And so do I. Mom, I am so very blessed to be your daughter! Watching you throw yourself completely into your role as Grandma makes my heart so happy. You are truly one-of-a kind and I hope to one day be half the Mom to Jack that you have been to me. Happy Mother's Day - I love you!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blogs are wonderful things, I'm thinking. Well...it doesn't make it any easier to be so far away, but it is wonderful to be able to keep up with the activities of the world's most wagon-pushin' grandson. Would love to grab him up and toss him around a bit - but that'll have to wait a couple of weeks. I still don't know what "HTML tags" are, though. (Listed under the "Leave your comment," above this box.) And, also...I thought he said "ma-ma" at Corky's, the day after his party (?). (You'll hear it a lot over the next few years, but it's special for the first several hundred times.)

9:01 AM, May 09, 2005  
Blogger Mary Alice said...

Yes, he did say Mama at Corky's, but he wasn't actually speaking to me. He has been saying Mama randomly for a while...but on the occasion I was writing about about, he actually held out his arms to me and said, "Mama!" Sorry for the confusion!

9:23 AM, May 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home