Sunday, April 03, 2005

Ugh.

Nice title, huh?

Well, that's how I feel. We are sick again. We, meaning Jack at the moment, but soon-to-be-me if my queasiness and sore throat are any indicator.

I tell you, I am so ready for Spring.

Jack and I have both been sick for the better part of two months, and had both just completed a round of antibiotics. We were finally well! WELL!! I could just kick myself for not listening to my intuition, because I knew that taking him to Mother's Day Out on Wednesday was a bad idea. Both my mom and my sweet friend Jenni had volunteered to watch him while I worked and now I am kicking myself for not accepting one of the offers. There were two babies in his class sneezing and coughing all over the place, and even before we got home that day, I knew we were done for. Ugh. (There's that word again.) I realize that you can't protect your children from things like this all the time. But my poor little guy is so miserable right now, and I just feel like I could have prevented this had I just listened to my gut.

Friday is when this all started - I'll try and spare you most of the gory details, but he threw up after lunch (all over my favorite Hello Kitty pajamas - yes, I was still wearing pajamas at lunch, and *shock* I don't even think I had brushed my hair at that point either) and began a downward spiral from there. He ran a fever on Friday and again today, is super stuffy and has the worst cough he has had all season. I slept a grand total of 3 hours last night because I was awake listening to his raspy breathing on the monitor, feeling my insides twist every time he would cry out in discomfort.

It really stinks because we had a steak dinner planned tonight with our friends the Denny's that we had to cancel. I helped hostess a baby shower for my precious friend Delia this afternoon and I feel like I was only half there because I was so concerned about Jack (who was perfectly well taken care of at home with his Daddy). I have also invited my friend Alicia and her husband Gabe over for dinner tomorrow night and if she reads this blog before I get a chance to call her in the morning, she will know that I am going to have to postpone our plans too. I am almost 100% positive that I can feel this coming back on me again too.

All of those things are frustrating to me. But, the worst thing about having a sick baby is having to watch your little one struggle. It absolutely kills me to see Jack hurting. I know his nose and throat hurt. I know his head probably hurts. And if Friday's episode and his lack of appetite since then are any indication, I am betting that his tummy probably hurts too. I would trade places with him in a heartbeat if I could. I'd cancel every engagement with friends I had for the next year, if it would make things better for him. But, the fact is I can't and it wouldn't. We just have to wait it out.

I hate to complain. I really do. Just please say a prayer for us today if you can- a prayer for healing, and a prayer for the quick arrival of Spring! And speaking of...here is Jack (during a brief respite from the winter funk) playing with his Cardinal, a sure sign of warmer weather!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi MayMay~
I'm so sorry Jack is sick AGAIN...
we will be thinking of you & Jake can't wait to have another play date with Jack once he's better.
Call us if you need anything!!
Hugs & Kisses....
Jenni

10:24 PM, April 03, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home