He's A Really Useful Engine, You Know.
All the other engines will tell you so!Of course, I am talking about none other than Thomas. Thomas the Tank Engine. The complete and total obsession around our house. (And not just for Jack, but you didn't hear that from me.) I can remember saying shortly after Jack was born that I did not really want him getting into the Thomas craze because it is never-ending, because it is expensive, and because I (at the time) had the foresight to see just how addictive it can become. Now, as the Mommy of the world's sweetest two year old, I have officially thrown caution to the wind and jumped the first train to the Island of Sodor, where Thomas madness is the one and only destination.
A few weeks ago, Phillip and I took Jack downtown to the Tennessee Railway Museum where all three of us took a (very slow) ride on everyone's favorite blue engine. I am happy to say that he is just as enchanting in person as he appears in books and on video, although he is a bit smaller than I expected. And his eyes don't roll...what a bummer.

All three of us had a blast. There were lots of things to do, what with train tables set up everywhere, animals to touch in the petting zoo, Sir Topham Hat photo ops (which we opted out of because he is a just a tiny bit too creepy), and the train ride itself.
Jack did fabulously well during the train ride, pointing out every car, truck, school bus and airplane that we passed along the way. He was really excited to do all of the activities that were available, but I think that we were all the most excited at the very last stop of our adventure: THE GIFT SHOP.
Seriously, people. If you have ever participated in a Day Out With Thomas, you know what I am talking about. Every piece of Thomas paraphernalia from wooden railway sets to battery-operated trains to bedding to towels to toothbrushes to puzzles to clothing to...well, you get the idea...was there to be purchased. Jack was amazed and Phillip and I were like a couple of kids ourselves. I'm telling you, it is contagious. That silly blue engine has a very infectious spirit. And we were infected with a new wooden Thomas complete with the special edition "Day Out With Thomas 2006" coal car, a Thomas watch and a Thomas T-shirt. Which is pretty good considering the fact that I would have walked out with one of everything please, thank you very much, had Phillip not been there to carefully reign me in. He's a Really Useful Husband, You Know!
Just know that Mommy tried, Jack. Mommy tried.












0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home