Monday, May 16, 2005

800 Miles Between Us

Wow. This is the farthest distance Phillip and I have ever been from each other since we first met in 1995. What a bizarre thought. I don't like it.

This morning, my Beloved boarded a plane bound for Raleigh, NC where he then hopped on another plane taking him to Philadelphia, PA. To the casual observer, this sounds like an event not so out of the ordinary. That is not the case here.

This was only Phillip's second flight and as many of you know, I have never - never, ever - flown. Yes, memories flood back of the free trip to NYC to see the New Kids on the Block, my 8th grade class trip to Washington, DC, my college roommate's wedding in California, the Honeymoon to the Caribbean that my sweet husband wanted us to take together. Each opportunity lost because I am a BIG OL' CHICKEN. I am one of those people who breaks out in a sweat at the sound or sight of an airplane. Dropping friends off at the airport can literally send me into a panic, especially if I am the one driving.

Why? Good question. I have always thought it was because my Dad was in the military and had to take a lot of overseas trips when I was a kid. Each time he left (usually in the middle of the night, even more scary and unsettling), I was terrified that I'd neer see him again. I think I associate those feelings of fear and impending loss with airplanes. Whatever the reason, I am mortified of flying and have, until now, successfully managed to keep both my husband's and my own feet planted firmly on the ground.

Well, Times - they are a changin'. Phillip's job is going to be requiring him to travel to Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware more and more frequently. And he really loves his job, so I am going to have to buck up.

Praise the Lord, I got a call around 11:30 that he had landed safely, so I will be OK until Thursday when I know he has to make the return trip home. Ugh. Thankfully, I have a very active little boy to keep me occupied and I'll be staying with or playing host to my parents the whole time that he's gone. (Did I mention that I am a chicken?) Actually, that's a nice perk to living so very close to family!

Say a prayer for me because I hope to one day make this trip with him. I want to see the world, and not just by watching The Amazing Race on TV. I am really frustrated by this particular fear - OK, so really it's a phobia - and I want so badly to overcome it. I pray that some day soon I will.

**My Grandma is doing much better. After the results from her Ehocardiogram come back this afternoon, she will hopefully be released to go home. So far, everything has come back normal! Thanks to everyone for your prayers and kind words!**

I am off to take a nap. I learned last night that if Phillip is flying, I'm not sleeping!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home