Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Every Letter Makes a Sound...





This little boy is reading. Yes. Reading.

He hasn't graduated to Shakespeare quite yet - or even to
Mommy's favorite, Stephen King - but he is most certainly in the beginnings of learning to read. WOW.

We owe a big thank you to Mia & Maverick's Mommy, Miss Leann, for
telling us about the Leap Frog Letter Factory video. What a brilliant and amazing learning tool! After watching it only a few times, Jack not only reinforced his knowledge of the alphabet, but had also learned the sounds that each letter makes (and everybody knows that's the hard part).

Now, he recognizes letters everywhere. Even when we talk he will stop and sound out words and can tell me which letters start and end the word based on the sound they make. Just the other day, he was looking up at his bedroom wall where his name is spelled out in big letters. He knows that is spells his name, but for the first time he said, "Juh, Juh...Ah, Ah...KK...Mommy, that spells Jack!". I was sort of taken aback, so I got a pencil and wrote the word MOM. He sound out, "Mmm...Aah...Mmm." It took a couple times of sounding it out, but all of a sudden he said "Mom!". He then sounded out DAD in the same way. He was so proud. I was bursting!

Last night, we took him up to see the horses at the Agricultural Center close to our house. He just loves the horses - loves to pet them and talk softly to them. But last night, he noticed the letters above each door which spell each horse's name. To our complete amazement, he sounded out the names "Horse" and "Skipper". Again, unbelievable.

And lastly - This morning, I was brushing his hair before school. He was being unusually cooperative and still. I noticed him looking at the shirt I was wearing (which just so happened to be one of his Daddy's) and he began sounding out the word A-L-A-B-A-M-A. I had to help him a little at the end because the second and last A's make more of a U sound, but he got it. I just can't begin to express how proud of him I am! He wants to read all of the time now, which couldn't make me happier.

What an incredible feeling it is to watch your child achieve. It's so overwhelming to see the pride in their smile when they learn something new. I feel so blessed that I am one of the people who gets to teach Jack so many things and watch his eyes light up as he succeeds. Being a mom really is the greatest, most rewarding job in the world. Especially when you work for this little guy!





11 Comments:

Blogger TheGlissonFamily said...

Yeah Jack! Wow, what an accomplishment. My girls too have been watching the letter factory for awhile now, and while they are not sounding out words, they have a pretty good grasp of the sounds the letters make. Such a fun time!

5:21 AM, February 27, 2008  
Blogger josh and darci said...

yeah Jack!!! I heard that this video was awesome and am now convinced that I need to order it too!

7:08 AM, February 27, 2008  
Blogger The Blankinships said...

are you kidding me?! that is SO great! way to go, little man. i cannot imagine how proud you must be, mary alice.

7:12 AM, February 27, 2008  
Blogger Amy said...

Congrats Jack!! A huge accomplishment!! Ethan as been doing the same after watching Super Readers and Word World on PBS.

9:08 AM, February 27, 2008  
Blogger jenni said...

i think we need to borrow that video next--way to go jack! we love you!

9:38 AM, February 27, 2008  
Blogger It's a Mom Thing said...

That's awesome! Way to go!!! I know you are so proud.

11:01 AM, February 27, 2008  
Blogger JSM said...

Way to go Jack! Now teach him h-o-c-k-e-y and c-a-n-a-d-a!

4:46 PM, February 27, 2008  
Blogger Elizabeth S said...

Being a mom is the greatest, isn't it! That's fantastic. Now if mine will only stop begging for new Webkinz we will be happy. Oh, the joys of 8 year olds...

5:32 AM, February 28, 2008  
Blogger Heather said...

We, too, love this dvd -- even if that song stays stuck in our heads ALL day!!!

6:13 PM, February 28, 2008  
Blogger digging a hole to China said...

glad you all are having fun with letters. have you tried word world on pbs? S and A like that show. We watched letter factory in Atlanta a few weeks ago. Maggie has it. Both kids were stuck in front of the tv. I liked the dvd bc it finally makes our fridge phonics word whammer make sense. "professor quigley here; let's learn letters." never had a clue who professor quigley was. so when we do our aristocats/robin hood swap we need to borrow the letter factory too. are you guys getting 101? we havent ' decided yet, but we need something for the easter baskets.

8:59 AM, February 29, 2008  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Way to go, Jack! We love the Letter Factory, too.

So are you a Michael Buble' fan or just like this song you put on your blog? I confess, I have a crush. And, my sweet husband not only accepts it, but he's taking me to see his concert next week. I may have to check your blog more often now to get myself psyched up for the concert! :)

3:07 PM, March 02, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home