Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Pillow Talk

Bedtime has quickly become my favorite part of the day. Not because it means putting Jack to bed and technically "ending" my Mommy Workday (because it never ends!), but because it is such a tender and precious time, full of hugs, kisses, prayers and interesting conversation.

It seems that I gave birth to quite the little talker. For so long, we wondered if he'd ever talk and now he doesn't stop! I want to share just a snippet of our conversation from last night. This occurred just after I finished reading "Kiss Goodnight" and he said his Nite Nite Prayers.

Me: Jack, are you going to be a good sleeper tonight?
Jack: Best sleeper EVER! Jack big strong boy. No screamin'. No cryin'. No talkin'.
Me: That's right, buddy! You are the best sleeper ever!
Jack: Jack a T-Rex sleeper. Rooooaaaaaaar!
Me: Oh, boy! T-Rex's need lots of sleep!
Jack: Jack has 2 Christmas trees.
Me: (A little confused because he has 3 lighted trees in the corner) Are you sure buddy? Just 2 trees?
Jack: Two trees and a Moose. Murphy Moooooose!!!!!!
Me: (Duh, he has 2 small trees on his bookcase) Good job, buddy! You have 2 little trees and a moose. How many trees are over there with the lights on?
Jack: Fwee! A mommy tree, a daddy tree and a Jack tree! Fwee trees!
Me: Wow, you sure are smart!
Jack: One, two, fwee, four five. I have five trees.
Me: (stunned) That's awesome, Jack! You DO have five trees! What else do you see?
Jack: I see Mommy.
Me: What else?
Jack: I see pink J.
Me: What?
Jack: (pointing to his wall) Pink J.
Me: Oh! That's your name. It's a red J. J-A-C-K. That spells Jack. (lights were dim, so it did look pink!)
Jack: Mommy paint. Mommy paint it red?
Me: Yes, I did, buddy. Mommy painted it red. Do you like it?
Jack: Yes! I like it! Red J! Jack!

At this point, I put my head on his arm and closed my eyes.

Jack: Oh, Mommy fall fast asleep on Jack's arm. (Patting my head) It's OK, Mommy. Nite. Nite.
Me: Mommy isn't going to sleep, buddy. She's just loving her baby.
Jack: Mommy gon' leave the room?
Me: Yes, Mommy needs to leave the room so you can go to sleep.
Jack: I gon' roll this way. (rolls over, snuggles stuffed alligator and squeezes eyes shut) Oh, no! Get my covers!
Me: (adjusting his blankets) I'll see you as soon as you wake up. I love you so much!
Jack: I luf you, Mommy. Nite Nite.

Be still my heart.

2 Comments:

Blogger Christy said...

I love pillow talk...with both my guys:) Why do the best conversations seem to happen before sleep?

3:56 PM, February 07, 2007  
Blogger jenni said...

Sweet!! What a precious memory that you'll never forget! Miss you!

6:01 AM, February 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home