A Dose of Perspective
One week ago today, sweet Joshua was diagnosed with leukemia. There are so many things in this life that don't seem fair to me, but a child being diagnosed with cancer just might take the cake.We met Joshua and his amazing parents, Michael and Jana, a little over a year ago while we were attending their church. We became fast friends with the Kelley's, and Jack and Joshua were in Sunday School together because they are very close in age. Even though we are now worshipping at different churches, we have remained friends.
Tonight, Phillip and I took dinner to Joshua and his dad, Michael. (Jana took a much-needed Mommy Break and went to Community Group.) We sat around the table as that sweet little boy ate his soup from Panera with a smile despite the stints in his small body. We listened as he said thank you over and over and over for the food we brought. We watched his eyes light up when he saw the Push 'n Go Thomas we had brought just for him. And we were awed when his two year-old self exhibited patience when his Daddy told him he could play with the train once he had taken his medicine.
It was all I could do to watch Joshua swallow 5 syringes of medicine, occasionally grimacing when it didn't taste so good. But thanks to a patient Daddy and a Wonderful Reward after the yucky stuff was endured, Joshua succeeded in getting it all down. Hmmm...I see a life lesson here. Don't you?
Speaking of lessons, I learned a lot tonight from this beautiful child in the short amount of time I was able to spend with him. I learned (again) that bad stuff happens. And life sometimes isn't fair.
But more importantly, I was reminded that God is present even in the bad stuff. Walking with us, holding us up. I learned that it's really not that big of a deal that I can't seem to keep my house clean. And that it's not the end of the world that I've been up a couple of hours every night for two weeks with a grumpy Toddler who's ready to get up way before I am.
I was reminded yet again of how important it is to walk through this life with people who love you. And how important it is to always let those people know how much you love them. With words, but also with actions - a hug, a call, a note, a meal, a prayer, a listening ear.
Please pray for Joshua and his family. They have some pretty big tests coming up on Friday. You can keep up with their story here, on Joshua's blog. In the meantime, find someone you love and give them a big hug. That's what I am going to do. Right now.












3 Comments:
I keep thinking that everything in life happens for a reason & I know the reason for my Phillip & I moving into the neighborhood where he & I became friends with the Kelleys- that lead Phillip & I to that church that we invited you guys to -where we introduced you to the Kelleys. We found the Kelleys & Joshua and fell in love with their family & who knows where we would all be without this family and now the journey they face. It's funny how now I look back & see Phillip & I were where we were supposed to be at the exact time God wanted us to be or we all may have never met & known about this sweet Journey--Joshua's Journey.
Unbelievable. Just all of it. I am keeping them in my prayers everyday.
Prayers for this beautiful family are going up from the Gulf Coast of Alabama.
Post a Comment
<< Home