Lucky Me
Yesterday morning I was working in the kitchen, preparing to have Phillip's co-workers over last night for a Christmas party. I was stressing myself out as I sought perfection in everything from the un-burned bottoms of the cookies I was baking to the freshly mopped kitchen floor. This perfectionism is a flaw that I recognize, yet it continues to show itself despite my best efforts to stop it. It wears me out. I was talking to Phillip about my frustration with it this morning when he suggested that I pick up the phone and call my friend Jenni. She and I are good about listening to each other vent. Jenni has a two year old, is pregnant with her second due in February and she, along with the rest of her family, has been sick for the last several days. So you can see why I chose not to bother her this time with my useless complaining.
A couple of minutes after I said good-bye to Phillip, my phone rang. A sweet voice said, "Hi, May May. Are you going to be home for a little while?" I immediately knew that it was Jenni, as she nicknamed me May May years ago (before we had kids or even thought of having kids) because she knew that my name would be way too difficult for her future kids to say. I also instinctively knew that her question was actually Jenni-ese for, "I'm in my car. I'm a couple of streets away. I am going to drop in for a minute because I have something for you. And don't worry if you don't have make-up on because I don't care." I knew all of this not because I am psychic, but because it is not at all uncommon in our friendship.
Jenni is that kind of friend. She intuits need. And then she interprets it into action. And although she was stopping by today primarily to drop off a birthday gift for me, she also somehow managed to pick the exact moment when I just needed to take a break, sit down and enjoy her company. This was not at all unlike the time she brought me Hot and Sour Soup when I had a cold or some Pumpkin Spice Creamer when I mentioned that I had been unable to find it in the store. Or dinner after Jack was born. And when we were all sick. Et cetera, Et cetera...You get the picture.
I wish I were gifted in that way. But I'm really not. Up until now, I have just sort of hidden behind my inability to intuit, giving myself an out. But I want to learn. I believe that I can learn. I want to be the kind of friend to Jenni and others that she is to me.
I love the necklace that she gave me. It is absolutely beautiful, all shiny and sparkly. But as beautiful as it is, it doesn't even compare to the few minutes we spent in the den just talking and watching our boys play. My spirit was lifted and my soul was buoyed by our brief visit together. As it always is with our friendship.
Thank you, my sweet friend. I love you!












1 Comments:
I'm gonna cry....you know I love you and I hope we will be this way for life & our children will grow up & love each other too!! Have a wonderful, happy birthday & know I'll be thinking of you---
Love~ "st ends"
Post a Comment
<< Home